The benefits of deep breathing and the relaxation benefits that come along with it are essential. Deep breathing benefits are well known but highly under appreciated and executed.
This is not the first article on the importance of full breaths that you have read if you are even a slightly health-conscious person. I am focused today on the actual execution of taking deep breaths at least once a day.
Places that I personally take multiple deep breaths and benefits I receive from it:
- In the car driving with or without traffic - I take at least a few deep breaths and look around at my surroundings, followed by being grateful and thinking how bad it would suck to walk or bike to get to my school (30 miles each way) One of my favorite songs "Love and Affection" by the Green talks about easing your mind when you take a drive. Don't let car rides or drives stress you out, it's a waste of stress and can start a negative thought pattern and give you road rage.
- Before, during and after writing an article or working on anything that requires focus - It helps me to get in the mindset to connect with my inner thoughts and emotions. It's easier to express yourself and use your brain when you breathe deeply. An anxious mind is rarely a good one.
- During running, jogging, lifting weights, climbing, longboarding, biking - You get the idea, exercise in almost every form feels great. If it doesn't feel good, you may be doing something wrong. Use correct form!
- Before public speaking events - This could apply to many people before your meetings at work. No matter how many times you public speak, you will get butterflies. I have always been very confident and easy to speak to and listen to (so I've heard), but I still try to take a few deep breaths and loosen up my neck, shoulders and back before I begin speaking. People can pick up on your emotions through vocal tone, eye contact and body language; breathe, relax, focus and think positive.
- While using a sauna or taking a bath - I can't think of many better ways to relax your mind and body than a sauna or bath. Deep breathing while doing these things can simulate a rebirth for me sometimes. Especially with some of my favorite essential oils sprayed onto the sauna rocks or dripped into my bath water.
There is no bad time to take deep breaths and loosen up your mind and body. Do it often, make it a habit.
Let's take 3 deep breaths together. In through your nose and force air out your mouth. Inhale.....1.....2.....3.....hold....exhale...1....2....3 (repeat 3x at least)
Hope you feel better now. Breathing deeply is an important part of your life that is not talked about enough. I have felt myself tensing up and causing stress and worry from simply not taking enough deep breaths. Start today and reap the benefits later. Don't let your emotions cause you to forget.